"I'm coming to my own rescue" - Amy to RickyAmelia May Juergens is the main protagonist of The Secret Life of the American Teenager. She is pregnant during the first season of the show and gives birth to her and Ricky Underwood's son, John Juergens, at the end of the season one.
Season 1 Edit
At the start of the show, Amy is a freshman at Ulysses S. Grant High School and is a French horn player in the band. She spent the summer prior to the series at band camp, where she met drummer Ricky Underwood and lost her virginity to him not realizing it after 2 seconds. In the pilot episode, Amy takes a pregnancy test and finds out that she is pregnant. She tells her two best friends, Lauren Treacy and Madison Cooperstein, who accidentally spread the news around school. Amy at first decides to have an abortion, but backs out at the last minute and decides to keep the baby.
Despite her pregnancy, Amy starts dating Ben Boykewich after he asks her out. They soon fall in love, and the two stay together throughout the season, even after Amy confesses to Ben that she is pregnant with Ricky's baby (What Have You Done to Me?). Ben decides to get engaged to Amy after finding out about the pregnancy, thinking it will help her situation. The two get illegally married (The Secret Wedding of the American Teenager), though the marriage is deemed invalid by both Amy's and Ben's parents because of their ages and the fact that they used fake IDs.
Pressured by her friends, pediatrician, and sister, who have all figured out that she is pregnant, Amy reveals her pregnancy to her mother (Love for Sale). This is complicated by the fact that Amy's mother and father's marriage is on the rocks, and that the two are on the brink of divorce. Amy's mother initially teases the idea of Amy living with her grandmother Mimsy until the baby is born, but the idea is quickly scrapped after Mimsy reveals that she has Alzheimer's and her memory and sanity are deteriorating quickly. Amy then decides to attend a school specifically targeted towards aiding teenage mothers, but is talked out of it by her father. Finally, aided by Grace and Ben, Amy makes the decision to return to her high school and continue her freshman year as a teenage mother (Back to School Special).
Months before the baby's birth, Amy struggles with deciding to put the baby up for adoption or raising the baby herself. Amy at first sets her mind on giving the baby up, and has an arrangement with Donovan and his partner, but the latter two back out at the last minute, preferring to remain foster parents. Amy's family and friends are also torn on the issue, with Ricky, Ashley, and George convinced that Amy should keep the baby, while Anne stands behind Amy's decision to put the baby up for adoption. Amy ultimately decides to keep the baby shortly after finding out that the baby is a boy (That's Enough of That). Ricky, Ben, Ashley, and Amy's parents offer to help raise the child, with Grace and Jack offering Amy a job at the church nursery, as well as a place for her child to stay while Amy is at school.
Amy's friends offer to throw Amy a baby shower before the baby arrives. However, shortly before the party, Amy goes into labor and is rushed to the hospital (Whoomp! (There It Is)). While in labor, Amy flashes back to the first time she met Ricky, as well as the events at band camp that led up to their having sex (One Night at Band Camp). Amy finally gives birth to her son (And Unto Us, a Child Is Born), whom she and Ashley name John, Ashley saying that it's "a basic name for a complicated life".
Season 2 Edit
Now living alone with her mother after her parents' divorce, Amy struggles to balance her new life as a teenage mother with her life as a high school student. Amy's life is further complicated when her mother reveals that she is pregnant, possibly with her boss and boyfriend David's baby.
Amy is upset when she finds out that she has to attend summer school because of the classes she missed while she was pregnant. She is further angered when she finds out Ben has been offered a job in Italy and plans on taking it. Amy makes plans to go with him, planning on taking John with her, but her plans are foiled by her parents and her responsibilities as a new mother. Amy and Ben break off their relationship shortly after the new school year starts.
Amy soon meets Jimmy, her mother's high school boyfriend's son, on a trip to visit Mimsy, her grandmother, and really likes him. However, when he doesn't return her call, Amy turns to Ricky for "kissing lessons," which her sister sees the beginning of. Amy soon confronts Jimmy about him not calling her back and the two make up, but it is too late for everyone else. The incident with Ricky has already spread and causes Ben and Adrian to have sex for both revenge and comfort. Amy and Ricky later have an altercation when Ricky asks for more time with John, and equal custody. This causes conflict among all the teens who each are confused on whose side they should take. However Amy later realizes Ricky is John's father and he has just as much right to him as she does. This incident causes another conflict between them when Amy realizes the custody agreement mean Ricky will get John for his first birthday. Amy, in spite, has a private birthday party for her and John in secret. The party that Ricky was throwing for John is later rained out and after learning of Amy's deceit, Ricky decides that John should have a party with just them, and allow Amy to spend the night as friends. Ben sees this and becomes jealous, but realizes that Ricky and Amy are John's parents so he calls Amy in order to reveal his feelings for her, and apologizes for his actions. Amy is thrilled to hear this news, but later at the wedding party for Leo and Betty Boykewich, Amy sees Ben and Adrian leave the party together to go to his room
At the beginning of Season 3, Ben avoids Amy due to Adrian's possible pregnancy. Ricky later visits Ben at his home and takes him to see Amy in an attempt to get them back together. With Ricky's urging, Ben and Amy talk and decide that they would give their hopes and dreams to another after Adrian tries to tell Ben that she had a false alarm. Though she didn't and was just saying that to make Ben happy. Ashley later reveals in a fight with their mom that Amy is on the pill. Something that Amy kept from the entire family. Amy is accepted into a music program in New York, but insists she can't go because of John and her remaining schoolwork. Though she gets support from her friends and family including Ricky who decides to stay at her house while shes in New York to watch John. When Amy goes away to New York, she discovers that the music program is for teen mothers. Later afterwords with his father, Ben goes to see Amy in New York to tell her about Adrian's pregnancy. When Amy hears about this she gets into her taxi crying and drives away. She is furious that Ben waited so long to tell her, and that she was the last person to know. After they break up, Ricky calls her and decides to comes down to visit her in New York. They realize that they never tried to be together since Amy was always with Ben so they talked about trying to be together. They share many special moments including a kiss. After Amy comes home she explains to Ben that she feed nuts and Ricky should try to be a family for their son. Amy then persuades Ricky to ask her and John out on a date to try and make their relationship work. The last moment of the season shows Amy, Ricky and John eating dinner at Ricky's apartment sharing yet another day together. The "ship" (relationship) name for Ricky and Amy is Ramy.
Season 4 Edit
At the beginning of season 4, things are slow for Amy. She and Madison are no longer friends because she took Lauren's side after Madison slept with Jesse. Later on though, she gets betrayed by the two who become friends again and bond over their annoyance toward Amy. During all of this, she has a hard time during summer school balancing her large amount of work with her friends (from Chicago that she met in New York) and having fun. As far as her love life at the beginning, she just goes through minor obstacles such as trying to get Ricky into college and to take her to the school dance. Yet, soon enough they get into a huge fight over Amy snooping on Ricky's phone to listen to the messages he saved from Adrian (who was trying to seduce him). Obviously, the couple makes up a few episodes later. Ricky then proposes to Amy in the 13th episode of the season, And circumstance. This takes place during the graduation of the senior class of 2011.
Amy reveals she's not in a rush to get married. Amy loves Ricky. Ricky loves Amy. Despite this, they stay engaged. Amy then feels pressured by Ricky, her friends and her family to set a date for this wedding. As a result, she randomly picks a date, the 4th of July. Further on in the season, Amy goes through a rough patch when a rumor goes around school that her mother, Anne, may be gay. This leads the students to start a rumor that Amy herself may be gay as well, because they thought it was genetic. In addition to this, people were starting to say that she picked the 4th of July because it was a gay holiday, although this was completely untrue. Thankfully for her, the whole situation blew over due to a situation between Adrian and Grace. In the last episode of the season, Amy accepts her mother for being gay. She then reveals to Ricky that she would be willing to marry him whenever.
Amy and Ricky run off to get married but don't go through with the wedding because the director of the chapel they go to is crazy. Amy lies to Ricky and her own family, as well as their friends saying they are married. Amy mentors Kathy, a pregnant freshman from Texas who gives birth to her daughter in the episode "Hedy's Happy Holiday House." She gives up her daughter to the adoptive parents. Amy breaks off her engagement to Ricky Underwood and cancels their wedding, saying that while she loves him, she is not in love with him, nor is he in love with her, and he is only marrying her because of John. She says she wants to be madly in love when she gets married. She also chooses to go to Hudson University in New York, where Leo offered her the basement floor and Ben the top floor of a three floor apartment while she's in school. She comes back to the butcher shop with her parents several times as she debates whether or not to leave, even though she knows she will be back.
In an interview with The Secret Life Of The American Teenager's creator, Brenda Hampton, it was revealed that, after the series ended, Amy was attending college in New York when Ricky and John moved to the city to be with her. They moved into an apartment together, even though Amy stayed in the dorms for most of the time. More specifically, Hampton said, "And Amy and Ricky fell in love with each other and with New York. They married after both of them graduated and were all too happy to have George move across the hall — so convenient."
Other than caring for John and being married to Ricky, it was also revealed that Amy's love of the arts led her to a career in documentary films while Ricky is currently creating a high end fast food chain with Leo.
- Start: Falling in Love (1x01)
- Engagement: What Have You Done to Me? (1x05)
- Underage Wedding: The Secret Wedding of the American Teenager (1x12)
- The marriage was invalid because they used fake IDs.
- End: Loved and Lost (2x15)
- Reason: Ben and Amy's relationship grew increasingly strained after the birth of Amy's son. Shortly after the school year ended, Ben took a job in Italy, where he got space from Amy and met Maria Mancini, with whom he had a fling. Ben then realized he didn't enjoy spending time with Amy as much as he used to, and after several weeks of struggling to work things out, he and Amy ultimately broke up.
- Start: Do Over (3x01)
- End: New York, New York (3x07)
- Reason: Ben visited Amy at her summer program in New York and told her that Adrian was pregnant with his baby. Furious, she breaks up with him.
- Start: Just Say Me (2x16)
- End: Mistakes Were Made (2x20)
- Reason: Jimmy finds a condom in Amy's purse and realizes that he's not ready to be in a relationship with her and her son.
- Start: Prior to Falling in Love (1x01)
- End: Prior to Falling in Love (1x01)
- Reason: One-night stand at band camp.
- Seen in a flashback: One Night At Band Camp (1x22)
- Reason: One-night stand at band camp.
- Start: Rules of Engagement (3x14)
- Engagement: And Circumstance (4x13)
- Eloping: To Begin With... (5x01)
- End: Thank You and Goodbye (5x24)
- Reason: Amy decides that she needed to take a break from her life with Ricky and John to focus on her future and believes that she still might have feelings for Ben. She ends up moving to New York City for college and leaves Ricky and John in California.
- Start: Two years after Thank You and Goodbye (5x24)
- Engagement: Amy Jurgens
- Marriage: 2015 - present
- Anne said Amy's favorite food was beef jerky covered with cheddar cheese. ("Falling in Love")
- Ashley claimed Amy never met a scarf she didn't like. (The Secret Diary of Ashley Juergens)
- In middle school Amy always got good grades and earned an award for perfect attendance. (The Secret Diary of Ashley Juergens)
- Amy liked Madison more than Lauren. (The Secret Diary of Ashley Juergens)
- In The Secret Diary of Ashley Juergens, Amy apparently joined the band because she had a crush on an unnamed boy.
- Ricky claims that Amy told him she began playing the French horn because of her fear of the Wolf (played by the French horn) in "Peter and the Wolf", and her wanting to overcome that fear by "becoming the wolf".
- Ricky was Amy's first kiss.
- Amy keeps an e-diary where she admits to still wanting to be with Ben, being jealous of Adrian, and believing that Ricky and Adrian could have been happy if they'd stayed together.
- It's probable that Amy's birthday is in June, as it is revealed in Lady Liberty that Amy's family and friends forgot about her birthday. The episode takes place around the end of the school year, likely in early to mid June.
- Amy married Ricky two years after the series ended, and the two reside in New York City with John.