Amy Juergens is the daughter of George Juergens and Anne Scott. She is the older sister of Ashley Juergens and Robie Johnson. During season 1, Amy gives birth to her son, John Juergens, making her a teen mother at the age of 15. She is also Ricky Underwood's wife (she married Ricky after a couple of years, confirmed by Brenda Hampton). She is portrayed by Shailene Woodley.
Season 1 Edit
In Season 1, Amy is a freshman at Ulysses S. Grant High School and is in the band. She plays the french horn and went to band camp the summer before high school. She met Ricky Underwood there and they had sex. Amy got pregnant and in the first episode she takes a pregnancy test, which is assumed positive, since the writers didn't give us much info at that point. She then goes to the doctor and finds out that she is for sure pregnant . Her best friends are Lauren Treacy and Madison Cooperstein who are the first to know about Amy. Amy starts to date Ben Boykewich and they fall in love very quickly. Throughout the whole season Ben and Amy stay together even though they have some problems. Ricky and Ben both find out about the baby after rumors start to spread. In episode 5, What Have You Done To Me? Ben asks Amy to marry him.He asked her due to her pregnancy, and she was emotional because of that. Amy, Ben, and all of their friends get fake IDs and in episode 12, The Secret Wedding of the American Teenager, they get fake married and have a wedding reception. Their parents find out in episode 13 and are mad. Amy struggles with where to go to school and doesn't want to go to Grant. Everyone refers to the new school as slut school. Amy decides to go back to Grant High School and Grace and the rest of her girls walk her down the hall in Back to School Special. Amy also struggles with adoption or keeping the baby. Amy finds out in That's Enough of That that the baby will be a boy. Ricky sabotages the adoption interviews with Donovan and his partner because Ricky wants to keep the baby. Amy finally decides to keep her son with the help of Ricky, Ben, and all her friends and family. Grace Bowman and Jack Pappas help her get a job at the church nursery. Also the baby can stay there during school while Amy will work after school to pay it off. In Whoomp! (There It Is), Adrian Lee and Grace throw Amy a baby shower but on her way up to the apartment Amy goes into labor. In One Night At Band Camp it shows the back story of band camp and what happened between Ricky and Amy. Amy is in labor the whole episode and is very cranky. In And Unto Us, A Child Is Born Amy gives birth to her son and everyone meets the baby for the first time. Ricky holds him and is very good with him. Amy lets her sister, Ashley Juergens, name the baby. Ashley decides on John Juergens which is a basic name for a complicated life. Amy has to adjust to motherhood fast and Ricky helps
Season 2 Edit
In Season 2, Amy struggles to balance teenage motherhood and her high school education. She deals with the fact that her mother, Anne, is having a baby with David. She has to attend summer school because she failed to complete some assignments due to her pregnancy. Having heard this news, Ben becomes guilty over the job in Italy he has been offered by his uncle who lives in Bologna, a city. Amy becomes jealous and asks to go with him. However, her parents forbid her to go because of her responsibilities at home with John. Amy and Ben eventually break up due to the fact that he wants more out of their relationship. Amy begins to develop a relationship with Ricky that makes Ben uncomfortable, because he believes Ricky is using the baby to get closer to Amy. Amy and Ben later break up in the halls of Grant High even though Ben asks her to talk. She later visits Ben when he is with his Italian friend Maria, where Amy becomes jealous of her. Amy tells Ben she loves him despite her feeling jealous of Maria. hahahahahahahahahaha
Amy soon meets Jimmy, her mother's high school boyfriend's son, on a trip to visit Mimsy, her grandmother, and really likes him. However, when he doesn't return her call, Amy turns to Ricky for "kissing lessons," which her sister sees the beginning of. Amy soon confronts Jimmy about him not calling her back and the two make up, but it is too late for everyone else. The incident with Ricky has already spread and causes Ben and Adrian to have sex for both revenge and comfort. Amy and Ricky later have an altercation when Ricky asks for more time with John, and equal custody. This causes conflict among all the teens who each are confused on whose side they should take. However Amy later realizes Ricky is John's father and he has just as much right to him as she does. This incident causes another conflict between them when Amy realizes the custody agreement mean Ricky will get John for his first birthday. Amy, in spite, has a private birthday party for her and John in secret. The party that Ricky was throwing for John is later rained out and after learning of Amy's deceit, Ricky decides that John should have a party with just them, and allow Amy to spend the night as friends. Ben sees this and becomes jealous, but realizes that Ricky and Amy are John's parents so he calls Amy in order to reveal his feelings for her, and apologizes for his actions. Amy is thrilled to hear this news, but later at the wedding party for Leo and Betty Boykewich, Amy sees Ben and Adrian leave the party together to go to his room
At the beginning of Season 3, Ben avoids Amy due to Adrian's possible pregnancy. Ricky later visits Ben at his home and takes him to see Amy in an attempt to get them back together. With Ricky's urging, Ben and Amy talk and decide that they would give their hopes and dreams to another after Adrian tries to tell Ben that she had a false alarm. Though she didn't and was just saying that to make Ben happy. Ashley later reveals in a fight with their mom that Amy is on the pill. Something that Amy kept from the entire family. Amy is accepted into a music program in New York, but insists she can't go because of John and her remaining schoolwork. Though she gets support from her friends and family including Ricky who decides to stay at her house while shes in New York to watch John. When Amy goes away to New York, she discovers that the music program is for teen mothers. Later afterwords with his father, Ben goes to see Amy in New York to tell her about Adrian's pregnancy. When Amy hears about this she gets into her taxi crying and drives away. She is furious that Ben waited so long to tell her, and that she was the last person to know. After they break up, Ricky calls her and decides to comes down to visit her in New York. They realize that they never tried to be together since Amy was always with Ben so they talked about trying to be together. They share many special moments including a kiss. After Amy comes home she explains to Ben that she and Ricky should try to be a family for their son. Amy then persuades Ricky to ask her and John out on a date to try and make their relationship work. The last moment of the season shows Amy, Ricky and John eating dinner at Ricky's apartment sharing yet another day together.
Season 4 Edit
At the beginning of season 4, things are slow for Amy. She and Madison are no longer friends because she took Lauren's side after Madison slept with Jesse. Later on though, she gets betrayed by the two who become friends again and bond over their annoyance toward Amy. During all of this, she has a hard time during summer school balancing her large amount of work with her friends (from Chicago that she met in New York) and having fun. As far as her love life at the beginning, she just goes through minor obstacles such as trying to get Ricky into college and to take her to the school dance. Yet, soon enough they get into a huge fight over Amy snooping on Ricky's phone to listen to the messages he saved from Adrian (who was trying to seduce him). Obviously, the couple makes up a few episodes later. Ricky then proposes to Amy in the 13th episode of the season, And circumstance. This takes place during the graduation of the senior class of 2011.
Amy reveals she's not in a rush to get married. Amy loves Ricky. Ricky loves Amy (everyone knows they belong together). Despite this, they stay engaged. Amy then feels pressured by Ricky, her friends and her family to set a date for this wedding. As a result, she randomly picks a date, the 4th of July. Further on in the season, Amy goes through a rough patch when a rumor goes around school that her mother, Anne, may be gay. This leads the students to start a rumor that Amy herself may be gay as well, because they thought it was genetic. In addition to this, people were starting to say that she picked the 4th of July because it was a gay holiday, although this was completely untrue. Thankfully for her, the whole situation blew over due to a situation between Adrian and Grace. In the last episode of the season, Amy accepts her mother for being gay. She then reveals to Ricky that she would be willing to marry him whenever.
Amy and Ricky run off to get married but don't go through with the wedding because the director of the chapel they go to is crazy. Amy lies to Ricky and her own family, as well as their friends saying they are married. Amy mentors Kathy, a pregnant freshman from Texas who gives birth to her daughter in the episode "Hedy's Happy Holiday House." She gives up her daughter to the adoptive parents. Amy breaks off her engagement to Ricky Underwood and cancels their wedding, saying that while she loves him, she is not in love with him, nor is he in love with her, and he is only marrying her because of John. She says she wants to be madly in love when she gets married. She also chooses to go to Hudson University in New York, where Leo offered her the basement floor and Ben the top floor of a three floor apartment while she's in school. She comes back to the butcher shop with her parents several times as she debates whether or not to leave, even though she knows she will be back.
- Start: Falling in Love (1x01)
- Engagement: What Have You Done to Me? (1x05)
- Underage Wedding: The Secret Wedding of the American Teenager (1x12)
- The marriage was invalid because they used fake IDs. However, both Ben and Amy still considered themselves married.
- End: Loved and Lost (2x15)
- Reason: The stress of being a new mother was weighing on Amy and Ben was jealous of Ricky. Ben went to Italy for space and Amy was not allowed to go with him. While in Italy Ben cheated on Amy with Maria, an Italian girl he met while on his trip to Bologna.
- Start: Do Over (3x01)
- End: New York, New York (3x07)
- Reason: Ben told Amy that Adrian was pregnant with his baby
- Start: Just Say Me (2x16)
- End: Mistakes Were Made (2x20)
- They only went on one actual date before the relationship ended.
- Reason: Jimmy finds a condom in Amy's purse, and he's not really ready to be with her and John.
- Start: 6 weeks before Falling in Love (1x01)
- End: 6 weeks before Falling in Love (1x01)
- Reason: It was just a one-night stand at band camp.
- This is seen in a flashback: One Night At Band Camp (1x22)
- Reason: It was just a one-night stand at band camp.
- Start: Rules of Engagement (3x14)
- Engagement: And Circumstance (4x13)
- Fake Marriage: To Begin With... (5x01)
- End: Thank You and Goodbye (5x24)
- Reason: Amy decided she needed to take a break and focus on her future.
- Start: 2 years after 5x24 (series finale)
- Engagement: Unknown
- Marriage: 2015 - present
- Reason: Amy realized that Ben was not the one for her and that Ricky was while she was in Hudson University (Revealed by Brenda Hampton).
- Anne said Amy's favorite food was beef jerky covered with cheddar cheese. ("Falling in Love")
- Ashley claimed Amy never met a scarf she didn't like. (The Secret Diary of Ashley Juergens)
- In middle school Amy always got good grades and earned an award for perfect attendance. (The Secret Diary of Ashley Juergens)
- As of the first season, Amy liked Madison more than Lauren. (The Secret Diary of Ashley Juergens)
- Amy originally joined band because she had a crush on an unnamed boy, according to The Secret Diary of the American Teenager. While in The Secret Life of the American Teenager, Amy says it was to over come her fear of "the wolf" in the song "Peter and the Wolf" and to please her mother.
- Ricky tells Anne that Amy picked the french horn because of "Peter and the Wolf".
- She had her first kiss, lost her virginity, and became pregnant to Ricky Underwood, all of this the same night.
- She said the sex was really bad, and it lasted only 10 seconds.
- Dated Ben Boykewich while pregnant with Ricky Underwood's child.
- Told Ben she loved him and kept her pregnancy a secret.
- Ricky and Ben are the only guys Amy has slept with.
- Amy does not know Ricky cheated on her twice after they agreed to start a relationship in New York.
- Proposed to Ricky Underwood in an attempt to compete with Adrian Lee and Ben Boykewich when she learns of their engagement.
- Continued the competition with Adrian, until an incident in the hallway in the episode "Loose Lips".
- Angered Ben Boykewich in an attempt to insult his relationship with Adrian. He turned the tables and also insulted her relationship with Ricky Underwood.
- Ricky and Amy got engaged in And Circumstance (4x13).
- Ben is still in love with her. He pretended they were married, while on the trip back from New York.
- She wants to go to school in New York even though it means she will have to leave Ricky and John behind.
- Her best friends are Madison and Lauren.
- She thought she was gay so picked a wedding day of the fourth of July. After this a rumor started circulated that the 4th of July was a gay holiday.
- She was jealous of Ricky's childhood foster sister, Clementine.
- Adrian Lee and her do end up being friends, even after the kiss she had with Ricky.
- She keeps an e-diary where she admits to still wanting to be with Ben, being jealous of Adrian, and believing that Ricky and Adrian could have been happy if they'd stayed together.